Saturday, November 26, 2011

MTC Update - 05 November 2011

Dear Family -


I write to you to testify of the power of prayer.  I know you have all heard me bear my testimony on prayer before, but last night my testimony grew even stronger.


Yesterday we all had a great day.  Everyone was getting along great and we had "investigators" to teach.  All of the Elders in my room are great.  There's this one in particular that makes us all laugh and lightens the mood when people get too stressed.  At times he can take it a little too far and distract the class when we want to be studying.  We had just returned from teaching our investigators and we were all kind of talking about how strong the Spirit was and what a neat experience it was to share the gospel.  It came time to study and this same Elder started joking around, distracting the class, and detracting from the Spirit.  Feeling something needed to be done to invite the Spirit back, I stood up in front of the class.  I just stood there until the quieted down.  Then I shared a spiritual thought.  The Spirit returned and we started to have a very spiritual meeting as a district... but one of the Elders in the room couldn't let the actions of the disruptive Elder go without saying something.  He called him out for being too rowdy.  He tried to do it in a loving way but then some of the other Elders started making comments about it as well.  This seriously offended this fine Elder.  That night he was very quiet.  He stayed distant with all of us and when we asked him what was wrong his response was, "Don't worry about me.  I plan to go home."  Nothing we said or tried to do could reach him.


As the district leader I felt like I should have been able to prevent this.  I had no control.  He just laid in bed not responding to any of us.  That night, when my companion and I said prayer, we prayed aloud while he laid in his bed pretending to be asleep.  We prayed that we would be able to help him.  We prayed that he would have a change of heart and that he would forgive us.  After that we all went to our beds and said our individual prayers.  I had no idea I loved this Elder so much.  During my prayer, I cried unto the Lord with full faith that He would bring this Elder back to a missionary state of mind.  I pleaded with our heavenly Father that he would help this Elder.  I said, "Father, I know that thou would have this Elder do thy work which thou has called him to do.  I know it is within thy power to cause a change of heart unto one person.  Please do this to not only help this Elder, but to bless the lives of all those he will teach and bring the gospel to."  I don't remember a time that I have shed so many tears and prayed so earnestly for the well-being of someone, let alone someone I have only known for a week.


The following morning was still the same.  No significant change.  It came to be about lunch time and he was starting to be back to his old self.  I have no idea if someone else talked to him or if something else happened, but I know that the Lord caused something to happen.  I cannot tell you how overjoyed I was.  We went to the temple today and I felt our Heavenly Father's love for not only me, but for this Elder as well.  The love that He has for each and every one of us is incomprehensible.  


I know that our Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ live.  That our Redeemer lives.  "What joy that this sweet sentence gives."  I urge all of you to pray.  Pray with nothing wavering and I promise that it will be opened unto you.  Have faith in Jesus Christ.  Look for the Lord's hand in all that you do.  Alma 34:27 says to keep a prayer in mind for the welfare of ourselves and the welfare of others at all times.  Forget about yourselves and the Lord will bless you with more than you can imagine.  I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


I love all of you.  Please pray for those in need of care.  Watch over each other and remember the Lord in all that you do.  I love you.


Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment